What's split-brain studies?

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Wed Jan 31 16:39:40 EST 2001

Note:  the original thread is about telepathy.

"Kwok-Man Hui" <kmhui at math.duke.edu> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.30.0101310921350.12789-100000 at tux4.math.duke.edu...

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Richard Norman wrote:
> > >
> > > Doing the experiment to confirm such an existence is not easy because
it's
> > > very political, first of all. Second, hard to find the right candidate
> > > do the test.
> > > Anyway, even with all these difficulties, it is still worthwile to
conduct
> > > the test if you realize its impact on science.
> > >
> > <snip a lot of stuff here>
>

> > I remember Roger Sperry (Nobelist for, among other things,
> > split-brain studies) saying that perhaps the greatest evidence
> > for the absence of anything like telepathy is the total inability
> > of the two hemispheres to communicate without direct nervous
> > connection between them.  Certainly, if there were two "kindred
> > spirits" it would be the left and right hemispheres of one
> > individual.  Everything about them would match just right.  Further
> > they are so closely apposed that even a weak telepathic signal
> > should come through loud and clear!  Yet no split brain patient
> > ever showed any ability to communicate that way between the
> > hemispheres.
> >

> What's split brain study?
>
> Withou direct nerve connection between two hemisphere doesn't mean no
> nerve connection at all. What about the cerebellum? Or the part of the
> brain controls the involutory action.It doesn't mean that part will
> provide the telepathy directly. Such a power may involve several parts of
> the cerebrum organizing to work together. The subconciousness may help.
>
> I think if telepathic exists, it involves function of some part of the
> brain yet we don't know its potential power. There must exist some
> connection btween some parts of the brain.
>
> Some other questions. Why telepathic signal should be loud and clear?
> Loud and clear in SOME specific receivers' heads? Or loud and clear in the
> air?
>
> Regards,
> Charles

Look up "Sperry split brain" in www.google.com.  People with
the corpus callosum cut have the direct connection between the
hemispheres severed.  This is the "split brain".  Many studies
indicate that after such surgery, each hemisphere can be provided
with different information, and that the information in fact is not
shared between them even though there are other pathways
that remain intact.

The application to telepathy is offered in the spirit originally
intended, as a somewhat humorous thought.  Certainly not
a definitive proof against telepathy.

But unless you show convincing hard experimental evidence based
on carefully controlled studies and published in reputable refereed
journals FOR telepathy, I think you had better at least drop
bionet.neuroscience from your list of news groups.