Are men really brain damaged at birth?

Brian zhil at online.no
Sun Jul 1 11:49:56 EST 2001

"Dani" <danielle at zzz.arcticmail.com> skrev i melding
news:B764BFF0.2864%danielle at zzz.arcticmail.com...
> >> Isn't that what I wrote?
> > Nope :)
> oh darn typos! :-)

It happens, not consequential for the discussion anyway.

> > Thank you for the link.
> > I read through it and as you say later there are some uncertainties of
the
> > corpus callosum, you more or less confirmed it (unintentionally) by also
> > saying that the female uses BOTH hemispheres (hence better communication
?)
> > ,while males are using the hemispheres 'lateralized' (your words, not
mine)

> Actually, those aren't necessarily -my- opinions, mostly I'm just listing
> the reported findings of particular researchers. For example, Simon LeVay
> says dimorphism of the CC (corpus callosum) exists, which is why I
> referenced him for that section, but there's a lot of others who say it
> doesn't exist, so I cited a critique (Anne Fausto-Sterling). I myself
really
> have no idea, I can only say that it isn't yet known for certain because
the
> scientific community has reached no agreement on it. As far as the CC
goes,
> I don't think a conventional standardized technique for measuring it has
> ever been agreed upon, therefore making it quite difficult to compare one
> study with another.
>
> Moreover, that women are less lateralized than men (if they are in fact)
has
> not been definitely attributed to a putatively larger corpus callosum. It
> could be the result of something else... not likely but nonetheless
> possible. Really, the deeper I get into sex dimorphism, the more I realize
> that so little is known for certain about it. Virtually everything is
> theories built upon the foundation of other theories (though some of them
> have high probabilities of being true). I think it'll be some time before
> some of the murkiness begins to clear.

This uncertainty is a result of the PCism that have infected the western
world.
As to the measuring, it shouldn't pose the biggest hurdle................
I think it's partly political reasons, nothing else.
And I won't expect the murkiness to clear anytime soon as they have a vested
interest in making the world of biology un-binary.
Shortly; it's divide and conquer........atomize a people and they're easy to
handle.

> > No more than 20% I'd say.
> > The rest is genetic.
> > Maybe that's enough to give the genders enough 'slack' so they won't
feel
> > constricted ?
>
> Well, I guess my point is that the binary sex classification system works
> quite well for the majority, but it begins to break down when you really
> look carefully at the diversity that exists out there in the real world.
> Nature is rarely a nice neat binary proposition ;-)

Of course it isn't neat and tidy   :-o
But usually nature kills those that aren't neat and tidy either.
It is only recently that unfertile people can have children of their own
with
all their genetic defects.
Maybe gene-therapy will accomodate them, and so we will bypass the
whole problem.
Maybe I'm seen a little cruel, but it isn't my intention and I'm not cruel.
I'd love that everybody were born perfect - but as the world is like it
is, we have to make do with what we have right now.

> > In mind this person is a male, while an unfertile female externally.
> > Was this a trick-question ?   LOL ;)
>
> Yeah, sort of. Intended to (hopefully) demonstrate how difficult it can
> sometimes be to place a person definitely into the either/or dyadic
> male/female taxonomy. There are many intersex people who possess both
> ovaries and testes, not to mention ovo-testis. It can get complicated.

Well, your demonstration went quite successfully.
And I'm fully aware of the possibilities there is.

> > I read your webpage, and I realised that I unadvernantly might have
stepped
> > on somebodies toes.............if so I'm sorry.
>
> Well, my toes are okay :-) If you mean that I'm a trans-person, don't
worry
> about it -- I don't have any particular ideology when it comes to this
> stuff, nothing that can get offended or insulted. I only stopped by this
> neuro forum for a little while so that I might learn something from you
guys
> :-)

We all learn something, and I would be the first in the line to say that I'm
not
perfect and that I should learn more.
Anyway, I think you've given _me_ more knowledge than the other way.....

Brian