modelling intelligence

Marielle Fois im99_foa at nada.kth.se
Sun Jul 1 15:56:57 EST 2001

I have just posted a message about this topic, saying I was answering
to the document against Einstein's credibility. I decide to send my
answer in this posting, which I wrote before knowing the document had
been written by an antisemite person.

Marielle

*********

Can you give references to the document you included about Einstein
being a fraud. Where does it come from? I, personally, cannot take
seriously a paper which has parts written in uppercase letters, and
some of the comments I include:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Brian wrote:

> "ALBERT EINSTEIN is held up as "a rare genius," who drastically changed the
> field of theoretical physics. However, using the technique known as 'The
> Often-Repeated Lie= Truth,' he has been made an  idol to young people, and
> his very name has become synonymous with genius. THE TRUTH, HOWEVER, IS VERY
> DIFFERENT. Einstein was an inept &  moronic person, who could not even tie
> his own shoelaces;

This is completely unserious.

> [...] The Encyclopedia Britannica says of
> Einstein's early education that  he "showed little scholastic ability."

This is not uncommon among respectful scientists. I once read a small
biografy of Niels Bohr, and was amazed at the fact that he never
understood things at first, and after a lecture, he would ask his
friends to explain again for him what the teacher had explained.

Richard Feynman had also low scores in english and history and
denied any validity of poetry and art (Ref. "Genius" by James
Gleick.) Gregor Mendel was unable to pass the exam to get a high
school teaching licence (Ref. "Inspired Amateurs" by Guinagh Kevin).
Bénoit Mandelbrot failed at university in France, and fled from the
french education because at that time the french school was denying
using visual skills to imagine mathematical problems, arguing that
formal methods must be sufficient (Ref. "Chaos" by James Gleick).

> It
> also says that at the age of 15,  "with poor grades in history, geography,
> and languages, he left school with no diploma."

I don't understand what they want to prove with this. Physics and
mathematics have nothing to do with history, geography and languages.
Weren't we talking about a multi dimentional iq tests?

> Einstein himself wrote in a
> school paper of his "lack  of imagination and practical ability."

What they don't say is that, if my memory doesn't fail, Einstein
wrote that in a letter to the director of the school where he wanted
to enter, enphasizing his total lack of imagination and practical
ability, and his fluency in mathematical and logical thinking,
to motivate he was a good candidate for mathematics and physics
studies. However, it didn't work.

>  This exam consisted mainly of mathematical problems, and Einstein showed
> himself to be mathematically inept in this exam. He then entered a lesser
> school hoping to use it as a stepping stone to the engineering school he
> could not get into, but after graduating in 1900, he still could not get a
> position at the engineering school!

>From "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin
(http://www.grandin.com/), pg 185:

  "I had to get through school by going through the back door,
  because I failed the math part of the Graduate Record Exam."

Having a look at her web page, nobody would say this woman is inept.
This is not just taken out of the blue, in this book, she writes a
chapter about Einstein and about the posibility that Einstein was
autistic.

>  Unable to go to the school as he had wanted, he got a job (with the help of
> a friend) at the patent office in Bern. He was to be a technical expert
> third class, which meant that he was too incompetent for a higher qualified
> position.

This person seems to have something personal against Einstein.

>  Supposedly, while working a full time job, without the aid of  university
> colleagues, a staff of graduate students, a laboratory, or any of the things
> normally associated with an academic setting, Einstein in his spare time
> wrote four ground-breaking essays in the field of theoretical physics and
> quantum mechanics that were published in 1905.
>
>  Many people have recognized the impossibility of such a feat,  including
> Einstein himself, and therefore Einstein has led people to believe that
> many of these ideas came to him in his sleep, out of the blue, because
> indeed that is the only logical explanation of how an admittedly inept
> moron could have written such documents at the age of 26 without any  real
> education.

This person has definetely something personal against Einstein.

> HOWEVER, THE TRUTH IS: HE STOLE THE IDEAS AND PLAGIARIZED THE PAPERS.

This is not serious, you just don't write this in a paper. This is
sensationalism.