Reversible Mao's

John H John at faraway.com.au
Tue Jul 3 05:47:59 EST 2001

I'd like some information on the differences between reversible and
irreversible Mao's. Eg. Moclobemide is a reversible Mao A, while selegiline
is an irreversible Mao B. Can someone tell me the significance of reversible
vs. irreversible.

I have also noted references in relation to both above indicating that these
are anti-oxidants and selegiline is also neuro protective, possibly. Is this
because by increasing extracellular dopamine the redox state is more
favourable as dopamine itself is an anti-oxidant while its metabolites are
pro-oxidant or because of some intrinsically anti-oxidant about the two
chemicals?

John H.