Definitions for the following terms?

Isidore isidore at mailandnews.com
Tue Jul 10 15:23:41 EST 2001

Hi everyone,

    I'm a high school student trying to read a neuroscience paper and
understand it well. There are some keywords listed at the top of the page
that I'm not exactly clear on. They aren't explicitly alluded to in my
textbook (although perhaps they are by another name).  If someone could help
clarify these for me, I'd appreciate it.

renewal process: Is this just referring to the process the neuron has to go
through before it fires another action potential (absolute refractory
period, relative refractory period, etc.?)

integrate-and-fire: Is this just referring to the neuron firing when
threshold is reached? Why do they call it INTEGRATE-and-fire? Is there any
alternative to integrate-and-fire? What is a leaky integrate-and-fire
neuron?

interval distribution: Is this just the lapses between the action
potentials?

        Thanks for your time,

            Isidore