Definitions for the following terms?

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Tue Jul 10 22:00:29 EST 2001

On 10 Jul 2001 17:57:48 -0700, jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu (Matt
Jones) wrote:

>"Isidore" <isidore at mailandnews.com> wrote in message news:<PoJ27.2$ln3.148 at typhoon.nyu.edu>...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>>     I'm a high school student trying to read a neuroscience paper and
>> understand it well. There are some keywords listed at the top of the page
>> that I'm not exactly clear on. They aren't explicitly alluded to in my
>> textbook (although perhaps they are by another name).  If someone could help
>> clarify these for me, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>> renewal process: Is this just referring to the process the neuron has to go
>> through before it fires another action potential (absolute refractory
>> period, relative refractory period, etc.?)
>>
>> integrate-and-fire: Is this just referring to the neuron firing when
>> threshold is reached? Why do they call it INTEGRATE-and-fire? Is there any
>> alternative to integrate-and-fire? What is a leaky integrate-and-fire
>> neuron?
>>
>> interval distribution: Is this just the lapses between the action
>> potentials?
>>
>>         Thanks for your time,
>>
>>             Isidore
>

>Howdy,
>
>As usual, Richard Norman has given a very good response already (Hi
>Richard!). But I've been studying up on spiketrain analysis alot
>lately, and thought I might give another response, since its still
>fresh in my mind.
>

>(I'm a bit shaky on this first one, but here's what I think the answer
>is:)
>
>A renewal process is a kind of "counting" process. Counting process
>means that the signal generated by the process comes in discrete
>units, like ticks of a clock, rather than a continuous flow, like
>water flowing from a tap. So a counting process is characterized by
>things like the frequency of ticks (or spikes, in this case) or the
>number of ticks in a certain timeframe. A renewal process produces
>ticks or spikes in such a way that there is no correlation between the
>time of one spike and any other. That is, observing a spike at any
>particular time doesn't convey any information about when the next
>spike will occur, or about when the preceeding spike occurred. In more
>technical language, a renewal process has a flat autocorrelation
>function.
>

>Integrate-and-fire is a possible model for how neurons examine their
>synaptic inputs and then decide when to fire a spike. In this model,
>they literally integrate (i.e., as in integration, from calculus)
>their inputs over time. Integration is pretty much the same thing as
>just keeping a running sum. So suppose the inputs (e.g., synaptic
>potentials) came in the following order with the following sizes:
>
>2, 3, 2, 5, 1 ...
>
>then an integrate-and-fire neuron would integrate these as follows:
>
>2, 5, 7, 12, 13 .... (i.e., add each number to the previous sum)
>
>If the spike firing threshold was set at a value of, say, 10, then the
> [...]

Thanks, Matt. I knew someone else would come in who really knew
something about spike train analysis.  OK, so I was a math major as an
undergraduate and in fact took courses on probablilty theory and
random processes.  But that was forty years ago!   I do have a lot of
experience, though,  trying to get college sophomores and juniors
through their first hard-core neuro papers.  And I would never let one
start out with spike train analysis (biology students usually have no
math background or interest, unfortunately)

And, Isidore, I am also interested in what paper you have -- and how
and why you got it.  I'll bet this group could help steer you into a
good reading program, if you have the time and interest.