Localization of pitch in the brain?

John H John at faraway.com.au
Mon Jul 16 01:04:45 EST 2001

Quickly, but I suggest you try Google search engine with string pitch music
brain. Best of luck. The work has been done, you'll need to keep digging but
the  links below the abstract should help you along.

John H.

Science 1995 Feb 3;267(5198):699-701 Related Articles, Books, OMIM, LinkOut

Comment in:
Science. 1995 Feb 3;267(5198):616
Science. 1995 May 5;268(5211):621-2

In vivo evidence of structural brain asymmetry in musicians.

Schlaug G, Jancke L, Huang Y, Steinmetz H.

Department of Neurology, Heinrich-Heine-Universitat Dusseldorf, Germany.

Certain human talents, such as musical ability, have been associated with
left-right differences in brain structure and function. In vivo magnetic
resonance morphometry of the brain in musicians was used to measure the
anatomical asymmetry of the planum temporale, a brain area containing
auditory association cortex and previously shown to be a marker of
structural and functional asymmetry. Musicians with perfect pitch revealed
stronger leftward planum temporale asymmetry than nonmusicians or musicians
without perfect pitch. The results indicate that outstanding musical ability
is associated with increased leftward asymmetry of cortex subserving
music-related functions.

PMID: 7839149 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/03.22/04-music.html
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web1/Sancar.html
http://www.smh.com.au/icon/0104/28/news8.html
http://www.academicpress.com/inscight/03161998/grapha.htm