Brain Damage, When and How?

John H John at faraway.com.au
Tue Jul 17 01:25:35 EST 2001

I suspect Asperger's itself involves some brain damage. As to the cause,
take it from someone who spent years - unsuccessfully - trying to establish
the causes for various sub-clinical (perhaps!) neuro pathologies. I had lots
of neurosurgery as a child that left me with bits of brain damage but
unfortunately and strangely all the medical records have disappeared. I have
relapsing dysthymia, traces of ADD, chronic insomnia, absolutely hate tests
of every kind(perhaps an aversion induced from years of post operative
therapy and tests), and generally quite a chaotic life (attempted Uni 6
times but dropped out despite being at honours level). I don't bother trying
to 'figure myself out' anymore and the professionals certainly have given up
on me. So then, my best advice for you is:

"It's easier to lie on a couch digging into the past than it is to sit on a
chair facing the present. It is even harder to get up and walk toward the
future."

However, I will say that putting time into studying and thinking about your
conditions and possible remedies to the same is always worthwhile. I have
been slowly improving most of my life (now 42) and one reason for this has
been my constant searching for solutions. I was very lucky, an old poster
here helped a great deal, gave some good leads to think about. So keep
looking, you may find a soul who can help you along. One warning though, be
wary of strangers bearing gifts. Some say anything can be cured but I prefer
this admonition:

"There's always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible,
and wrong."

H L Mencken.

Maxwell is correct the oxy depriv can easily cause diffuse damage though
certain regions appear more vulnerable than others (hippocampus,
striatum???). I suggest you follow his lead, don't spend too much time
looking for causes, rather focus on solutions. It may not be anoxia, we
don't know what causes Aspergers or any number of ... . If you keep looking
backward you'll stumble when you try to move forward. Don't despair, look at
what Maxwell is now doing for a living. Most with neuro pathologies fall by
the wayside, some manage to get through one way or the other (like myself)
and some like Maxwell do quite well. Just do your best.

John H.

news:9iudpu$tdi$1 at news6.svr.pol.co.uk...