Brain Damage, When and How?

John H John at faraway.com.au
Tue Jul 17 22:02:51 EST 2001

Now there's a striking co-incidence Maxwell. Cannabis is the only thing I
have found that helps me sleep etc and many people would be amazed at how
much I have learned and written while stoned. Of course this places me in a
terrible dilemma because I wonder about the wisdom of sustained cannabis
use. When I stopped using it all the childhood symptoms returned and hey my
memory doesn't seem to work as well as when I am stoned!

So I've read quite a bit about cannabis and found something interesting from
Maria Volkrow studies. It raises CBF or glucose utilisation in orbitofrontal
and basal ganglia, both good targets re depression and attentional
mechanisms(right orbitofrontal the most probable damaged area for me). In
terms of cognition cannabis does not appear to be bad. There is still debate
about long term cognitive deficits after cessation but that's up in the air
and even if established the deficits are going to be very small, perhaps
reflecting more individual adaptive mechanisms than any deficit per se.
Unfortunately I started cannabis after giving up on Uni. From your account
should have been vice versa!

Of course, every time I tell doctors about cannabis use they just refuse to
believe me ... . And then are thoroughly embarrassed when I begin to probe
on what they actually do know about it. Politics and medicine, these drugs
should never be taken in combination.

I never recommend cannabis to people, I have always suspected it works for
me precisely because of my problems. My experience with everyone else is
that it doesn't help them think and it certainly has damaged a number of my
old friends because they have let it completely dominate their lives and
leisure. But I must say that it is far better than all of the drugs doctors
have had me take ... .

PS the quote about walking towards the future, not mine, can't remember
source but from some book I read years ago.

And ...

Recent studies indicate that smoking cannabis causes a huge increase in risk
for oral cancers but the risk seemed to 'arise' in the early 40's so you
might out of the danger zone; I'm right in it because the risk was dose
dependent and I could smoke forests of it (much more than everyone else) and
still think and still remember and still work .... . Cancer risk may have
something to do with mapk activation, not just the burning plant products.

Thanks for your observations,

John H.

maxwell <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9j1cqk$lgu1k$1 at ID-81739.news.dfncis.de...
..inline..