Brain Damage, When and How?

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:01:19 EST 2001

..inline...
John H <John at faraway.com.au> wrote in message news:h7757.93697$Rr4.345519 at ozemail.com.au...
> Now there's a striking co-incidence Maxwell. Cannabis is the only thing I
> have found that helps me sleep etc and many people would be amazed at how
> much I have learned and written while stoned. Of course this places me in a
> terrible dilemma because I wonder about the wisdom of sustained cannabis
> use. When I stopped using it all the childhood symptoms returned and hey my
> memory doesn't seem to work as well as when I am stoned!

Hmmm. Well, for me, it's been ten+ years without. Inter-individual differences in phenomenological responses vary considerably, no surprise.
I don't happen to know of any good studies that have assayed long-term memory effects.
For myself, I found usage interfered with memory consolidation, but I also am acquainted with some fellows, one a mathematician, and the other a physicist, who use cannabis occasionally, and it apparently does them no trouble.

> So I've read quite a bit about cannabis and found something interesting from
> Maria Volkrow studies. It raises CBF or glucose utilisation in orbitofrontal
> and basal ganglia, both good targets re depression and attentional
> mechanisms(right orbitofrontal the most probable damaged area for me).

This is new to me-- thanks. I haven't read in the topic more than a smattering, however.

 In terms of cognition cannabis does not appear to be bad. There is still debate
> about long term cognitive deficits after cessation but that's up in the air
> and even if established the deficits are going to be very small, perhaps
> reflecting more individual adaptive mechanisms than any deficit per se.

Seems (personally speaking) not to have had lasting impact, as I've rather good episodic memory for events preceding and during my 23 years of usage, and similarly, for me at least, semantic memory is also preserved. However, these are but my impressions-- I could well be wrong.

> Unfortunately I started cannabis after giving up on Uni. From your account
> should have been vice versa!

Heh. Heck if I know. <g>

> Of course, every time I tell doctors about cannabis use they just refuse to
> believe me ... . And then are thoroughly embarrassed when I begin to probe
> on what they actually do know about it.

Medicine is mostly applied science and other empirical knowledge. Many MDs are rather non-comprehensive in their pharmacological knowledge, and the ones that have special knowledge see a disproportionate number of clients who have real abuse difficulties. Lends bias, often enough.

> Politics and medicine, these drugs should never be taken in combination.

Contraindicative, yep.

> I never recommend cannabis to people, I have always suspected it works for
> me precisely because of my problems. My experience with everyone else is
> that it doesn't help them think and it certainly has damaged a number of my
> old friends because they have let it completely dominate their lives and
> leisure. But I must say that it is far better than all of the drugs doctors have had me take ... .

Well, for myself I now only self-administer caffeine, some nicotine, and the prescribed dexedrine is taken as needed, though not always daily. WRT your observations of friends consumed by their 'pleasures,' I'm also acquainted with any number of folks who have really been in the 'same places' for many years.
Whether chicken or egg came first, I don't know.

> PS the quote about walking towards the future, not mine, can't remember
> source but from some book I read years ago.

Thanks for that-- I like it a lot.

> And ...
>
> Recent studies indicate that smoking cannabis causes a huge increase in risk
> for oral cancers but the risk seemed to 'arise' in the early 40's so you
> might out of the danger zone;

Not if my ciggies impact, but fear of physical mayhem is something I give not much attention to.

I'm right in it because the risk was dose
> dependent and I could smoke forests of it (much more than everyone else) and
> still think and still remember and still work .... . Cancer risk may have
> something to do with mapk activation, not just the burning plant products.

Multiple causes. In lung, benzo-alpha-pyrenes, have been implicated as p53 pathway disrupters, IIRC,  but I'm no molecular guy, so may have this all mis-remembered from back in cell & molecular.

> Thanks for your observations,
> John H.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, too.
-maxwell