Localization of pitch in the brain?

Didier A. Depireux didier at rai.isr.umd.edu
Wed Jul 18 16:23:58 EST 2001

maxwell <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Didier A. Depireux <didier at rai.isr.umd.edu> wrote in message
> news:9j4eqv$2mr$1 at hecate.umd.edu...
>> Matt Jones <jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > As for the biological basis, I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure
>> > that certain cell types in cochlear nucleus phase lock to the missing
>> > fundamental.
>>
>> Wow. I would like to know where you have seen that! I have never

> http://www.bme.jhu.edu/~eyoung/abEnhanSync.html
> http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/Courses/bionb420.07/jwen/cochlear.htm
> http://www.physiology.wisc.edu/rhode/abst.html
> http://www.glue.umd.edu/~carr/ARO99-NL.pdf
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=96140355&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b
> Just a brief taste...

A brief taste of what?

I just looked at the above links and none of them have anything to do with
the question: are there cells before auditory cortex that respond to the
missing fundamental of a harmonic sequence, without necessarily being tuned
to any of the harmonic.
Apart from two papers by Riquimaroux and another paper whose author eludes
me at the moment (and these papers are in cortex), I have yet to see
direct evidence for a pitch cell somewhere in the auditory pathway.

						Didier

Didier A Depireux                              didier at isr.umd.edu
Neural Systems Lab                 http://www.isr.umd.edu/~didier
Institute for Systems Research          Phone: 301-405-6557 (off)
University of Maryland                                -6596 (lab)
College Park MD 20742 USA                     Fax: 1-301-314-9920