Which Microscope is better for Visualized Patch-Clamp Recordings?

Zakaria Mtchedlishvili zm5e at virginia.edu
Thu Jul 19 14:14:58 EST 2001

We are about to buy a microscope with near DIC optics for patch-clamping in
hippocampal slices. I would like to ask my colleagues neurophysiologists to
share their pros and cons regarding the system they use and regarding
additional equipment . Our choice is between Nikon Physiostation, Olympus
51BX or Zeiss Axiovert. The last one is most expensive and I am wondering if
it is worth to pay higher price for Zeiss. Also, I would like to know your
recommendations regarding choice of objectives. Initially, I will be
recording from soma of dentate granule cell, but later I plan to record from
soma and dendrite at the same time.
Thank you in advance!

Zakaria

--