Neural Representations of Trajectories

Lance Sherman lancesherman at home.com
Fri Jul 20 12:54:01 EST 2001

"Harry Erwin" <harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1ewuuak.1ynor76163al0wN%harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk...

> I'm seeing evidence that trajectories of moving objects are represented
> 4-dimensionally in the brain.

>Has anyone thought about the topology of neural representations?

at the risk of sounding flip, i feel compelled to reply, "i think i have"

i took one year of general topology thirty years ago. i'm obviously unsure i
understand your interesting question. i will be looking for further replys
to your post and further posts from you. i looked at your link to your www
page and see (perhaps) some similarity to my ideas.

unfortunately i have produced no writing myself  and am hampered by lack of
a collaborator.

for what it's worth, my ideas are in terms of time, processing into
sequences, and breaking of symmetries.

i have tried to create directed graph models for control systems, not so
different from the neural net models that have become popular. but i begin
with structured stimuli that are music-like.

the primary components in my models are nodes (with the switching,
prioritizing and integrating properties that are common in artificial neural
nets)  and delay lines that connect them.

at this point it is probably too clear why i have not produced any
riting  - and why i have not found a collaborator.