Neural Representations of Trajectories

Matt Jones jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu
Fri Jul 20 15:17:49 EST 2001

harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk (Harry Erwin) wrote in message news:<1ewuuak.1ynor76163al0wN%harry.erwin at sunderland.ac.uk>...
> I'm seeing evidence that trajectories of moving objects are represented
> 4-dimensionally in the brain. Has anyone thought about the topology of
> neural representations?

Spatial movement requires four orthogonal dimensions, so is there any
way that the brain could represent a trajectory unambiguously with
-less- than 4 dimensions?

I know of at least one body of sound localization work in which the
representation is topologically spherical (i.e., 2 dimensional,
because distance information and intensity cannot be unambiguously
separated in many cases):

http://wavelet.psych.wisc.edu/jenison.html

Which 4 dimensions are you seeing?

Cheers,