Artificial Sight

et_al at my-deja.com et_al at my-deja.com
Sat Jul 21 02:49:03 EST 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:31:52 GMT, "Glen M. Sizemore"
<gmsizemore at triad.rr.com> wrote:

>The eye does not "send messages" and the brain does not "interpret
>anything."

When it comes to sight, the brain does indeed do a lot of
interpretation. Sight involves much more than just our brain's
registering everything sent to it by the light receptors in our eyes.
That is too slow, so much of what we believe we've seen is actually the
result of the brain "colouring" in between the lines.

There are any number of studies showing that when X people are asked to
describe an event, you end up with X number of differing accounts not
only of the actions, but of the details of people and objects involved.
Sometimes you'll get more than X versions.

Ian