Neural Representations of Trajectories

Robert Gurk bob.g at gmx.de
Sat Jul 21 05:13:34 EST 2001

On 20 Jul 2001, Harry Erwin wrote:

> I'm seeing evidence that trajectories of moving objects are
> represented 4-dimensionally in the brain. Has anyone thought
> about the topology of neural representations?

Harry, are you seeing evidence or are you seeking?

Why would the brain need to "represent" a trajectory (or
anything else) in such a costly way? Another (albeit more
complicated) way would be to represent an abstract description
of a trajectory. Something like "Object started moving 45° to
the left and stopped 45° to the right. This took 10 seconds."

Bob