Neural Representations of Trajectories

Robert Gurk bob.g at gmx.de
Mon Jul 23 03:14:42 EST 2001

On 22 Jul 2001, Harry Erwin wrote:

> Take a look at Avis Cohen's work.
> <http://www.life.umd.edu/biology/faculty/cohen/index.html>
>
> One nice thing about bat work is that the motor models are
> fairly simple.
>
> My question is basically: now that I'm fairly confident that
> bats retain past position measurements in their trajectory
> representation, and that those position measurements are in
> general (3D+time) rather than head-centered or body-centered
> coordinates, and that the trajectory representation can be
> used in assessing nearness, how does a wet network that is
> approximately 2D do all this?????

Wait a minute. If the position measurements are neither head nor
body-centered, how are they centered? There must be some point
(0,0,0), right? And object-centered coordinates would not be
very useful if the object is, say, a fly.
One more question: The wet network you are referring to, is
related to hearing, I guess?

I can offer two more links:

<http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/neurobiol/mitarbei/klaus-
peter_hoffmann/e_publik.htm>

and

<http://www.ruhr-uni-
bochum.de/neurobiol/mitarbei/markus_lappe/e_publik.htm>

HTH,

Bob