Seeking references on animals with fully understood nervous systems (??horseshoe crab)

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Jul 25 08:40:51 EST 2001

cwilms at stud.uni-frankfurt.de (Christian Wilms) wrote on Wed, 25 Jul 2001:

> Hi Bob!
>
> I'm afraid I can only give you hint. I am quite certain
> that the sea-slug Aplysia californica is the organism
> you are looking for.

> Of course it has a few more neurons than nine,
> but the nervous system as a whole seems to be quite well
> understood and many behavioural aspects are
> mapped to certain groups of neurons. [...]
ATM:
Another candidate for consideration is the nematode
Caenorhabditis elegans, which contains 959 somatic cells,
of which some 300 are neurons, according to the first Web site of
http://biotech.missouri.edu/Dauer-World/Wormintro.html (q.v.);
http://www.wormbase.org/ -- the WormBase Home Page;
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/wormem/ "Center For C. elegans Anatomy";
links found through
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22c.+elegans%22&btnG=Google+Search

> [...]
> Concerning the nine neurons of the horseshoe crab...
> I find that hard to believe. Possibly that number
> refers to a specific neural net within the
> horseshoe crab, which is well understood...
ATM:
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/index.html#theory
is an attempt to create an Artificial Mind
based on sound principles of neuroscience
and of Chomskyan linguistics.  Therefore we
follow with acute interest all the developments on