Seeking references on animals with fully understood nervous systems (??horseshoe crab)

Didier A. Depireux didier at rai.isr.umd.edu
Wed Jul 25 08:05:35 EST 2001

TropBob <tropbob at aol.com> wrote:

> I am looking for references on some creature/animal that has only a few nerve
> cells in its whole nervous system, and whose full nervous system has been
> completely understood,

Your best bet would be C.Elegans, though it has in the vicinity of 1000
neurons. The optic nerve of the horseshoe crab has already about 5000
fibers, so for sure it's not a simple system. The sea slug
Aplysia californica has been extensively studied, and was a model used by
Kandel for his studies of learning etc.

The only nerve that has been 'easy' to study is the giant nerve of the
squid, a nerve so big you can see the axon with the naked eye.

						Didier

Didier A Depireux                              didier at isr.umd.edu
Neural Systems Lab                 http://www.isr.umd.edu/~didier
Institute for Systems Research          Phone: 301-405-6557 (off)
University of Maryland                                -6596 (lab)
College Park MD 20742 USA                     Fax: 1-301-314-9920