Fitness to drive

Mark D. Morin mdmpsyd at PETERHOOD69.earthlink.net
Wed Jun 6 17:57:43 EST 2001

mailed and posted

"Bjørg Øygarden" wrote:

> I am a Norwegian psychologist writing an essay on fitness to drive a car
> after brain damage.  What I would like to know - and what this group might
> help me finding out - is whether other countries, e.g. USA, has any sort of
> consensus on what areas should be examined and what methods or tests should
> be used when evaluating a person's fitness to drive.  I am grateful for any
> help on the matter.
>
> Bjørg Øygarden
> bjorg.oygarden at c2i.net

There has been a few things published over the past few years.  If you
have access to psychlit, try searching under alzheimers and driving.

The place I did my post doc had a program called DriveWise (there's a
blurb at http://www.bih.harvard.edu/behavneuro/). Comprehensive eval
consisting of neuropsych assessment, social work interview, eye test,
on the road test etc. One of the interns was doing his dissertation on
neuropsych measures that had good predictive validity on driving
assessments.  If memory serves me right, the Rey Osterreith Complex
Figure had good predictive value as well as Trails and letter
cancellation (looking at left neglect).  unfortunately, I don't have
the intern's current e-mail address.

I've got some more specific info laying around and I'll see if I can
find it.

mark
Alas for religious people who know no world except the
one they live in, and who have nothing to learn from the
people they speak to.
				--- A. DeMello S.J.
http://members.mint.net/mdmpsyd
for e-mail replies, remove the obvious