Is it possible to read someone's mind?

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 14:18:56 EST 2001

Brian <zhil at online.no> wrote in message news:UsPT6.291$q82.5776 at news3.oke.nextra.no...
> "maxwell" <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:9fjpb7$4hrjm$1 at ID-81739.news.dfncis.de...
> >
> > Brian <zhil at online.no> wrote in message
> > news:7XbT6.6787$lM3.133493 at news1.oke.nextra.no...
> > > "yan king yin" <y.k.y(at)lycos(dot)com> skrev i melding
> > > news:9fgrg0$jht2 at imsp212.netvigator.com...
> > <big snip>
> >  but I have one question.
> > > Extended vision from the ultra-violet to the infra-red zone.
> > > Is it possible to "train" the brain to adapt to such vision by
> > "squeezing"
> > > the Extended visual zone into what we have now (normal visual zone) ?
> >
> > I haven't the foggiest notion what this "Extended" vision you've dreamed
> > about is supposed to be.

> Did I ask you ? No.
And why respond and waste your time ?

It's a newsgroup for neuroscience. Occasionally, actual neuroscientists post in.
This apparently disturbs you, poor dear.

> I was thinking of 'retraining' the visual parts in the brain, adapting them
> to recieve information from visual stimulus; ie CCD's or other light-receiving devices.
> Think of it as connecting the video-camera directly to your brain, but gives
> more information than we're capable of today.

How will you know how to connect ? You float grandiose ideas,
and have in fact no notion of actual neurophysiology.

Here you're about to display what one fool does when caught with his
stupid mouth open.
WRT to your cockeyed idea about UV & IR vision, I'd said:

> > The constraint is at the level of the retina, specifically, at the level
> > of absorption of pigments, i.e., of the rhodopsin molecules.
>
> Did I mention anything when the question is about connecting electronics to
> the brain ? No, so you are flawed in your reasoning.

No, snide one, you are flawed in your reading comprehension-- even of your own text.
You had wondered:

I'd said:

> > The constraint is at the level of the retina, specifically, at the level
> > of absorption of pigments, i.e., of the rhodopsin molecules.

The, WRT the notion, I'd offered:

> > Meanwhile, there have been attempts to modify the absorption
> > characteristics of visual pigments.
> > ...a recent paper:
> > http://fly.hiwaay.net/~pspoole/echres.html#newsarticles
>
> Yes yes, boring !!!!
> That is nothing NEW.

Of course it's boring to you-- must be some excellent stuff you take.

> > > I suspect there would be modifications to such a 'crackpot' idea.
> >
> > A fair start would be disposal.
>
> Disposal of you by *plonking* you came to my mind right now.

Then why didn't you? Too bad you have nothing except abuse to offer a challenge.
You must be unpopular at the clinic-- or have you stopped your meds?
Maybe that's it.

> > > Basically there is no limits to what could be done.
> >
> > As long as you need not root your ideas in actual structures, sure !
>
> R.I.P in my killfile, moron.

flame on time..yummy yummy  !!
 ;~)
(since I'm in your K file, this won't be offending you,
unless you're also a liar, as well as a snide ignoramus)
Thanks! Come to our lab sometime. I'd love to run a terminal study
on the brain of a total ignoramus who at least has some faculty
for typing. We won't bother with language regions, but a nice set of
botulin conjugate tracers in your prefrontal cortices may prove out
to show interesting patterns of connectivity. Nice change from macaque.
We could even allow you to flip the switch on the peristaltic perfusion
pump, if you'd care to?
'Twould likely be the biggest contribution to actual science you'll
ever make-- do it for human knowledge, okay?