REM Sleep And Learning

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 10 23:58:13 EST 2001

SA <nospam at nospam.net> wrote in message
news:nospam-38405F.15171210062001 at lsnewsr1-27.we.mediaone.net...
> In article <9g0b38$68o0o$1 at ID-34153.news.dfncis.de>,
>  "Karl Self" <karl.self at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > "maxwell" <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Some think that there's consolidation more of procedural/implicit in
slow
> > wave, but the parceling-out of memory types, procedural <|> explicit
versus
> > slow wave <|> REM sleep is itself likely over-simplifying.
> >
> >     I agree with you on that one -- we have finally found some
common
> > ground!
>
> Who thinks there is consolidation of procedural/implicit memory in
slow
> wave? There is no evidence for a lengthy consolidation process in any
> form of implicit learning (at least not yet), the evidence is that
these
> memories are acquired in their respective permanent locations.

Please state what 'respective permanent locations' you mean, and can you
reconcile this claim with distributed parallel processing?
Did I say "lengthy consolidation process" ?

...to get you started WRT procedural mem. in respect to SWS:

Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 1997 9(4):534-547
Effects of early and late nocturnal sleep on declarative and procedural
memory.
Plihal,-Werner; Born,-Jan
Universitaet Bamberg, Germany; Physiologische Psychologie
Recall of paired-associate lists (declarative memory) and mirror-tracing
skills (procedural memory) was assessed after retention intervals
defined over early and late nocturnal sleep. In addition, effects of
sleep on recall were compared with those of early and late retention
intervals filled with wakefulness. 20 healthy males (aged 21-38 yrs)
served as Ss. Saliva cortisol concentrations were determined before and
after the retention intervals to determine pituitary-adrenal secretory
activity. Sleep generally enhanced recall when compared with the effects
of corresponding retention intervals of wakefulness. The benefit from
sleep on recall depended on the phase of sleep and on the type of
memory: Recall of paired-associate lists improved more during early
sleep, and recall of mirror-tracing skills improved more during late
sleep. The effects may reflect different influences of slow wave sleep
(SWS) and REM sleep since time in SWS was 5 times longer during the
early than late sleep retention interval, and time in REM sleep was
twice as long during late than early sleep. Changes in cortisol
concentrations, which independently of sleep and wakefulness were lower
during early retention intervals than late ones, cannot account for the
effects of sleep on memory.

nature neuroscience 3(12) december 2000
Early sleep triggers memory for early visual discrimination skills
Steffen Gais, Werner Plihal, Ullrich Wagner and Jan Born
Clinical Neuroendocrinology, Medical University of Lübeck, Ratzeburger
Allee 160/Hs 23a, 23538, Lübeck, Germany
Improvement after practicing visual texture discrimination does not
occur until several hours after
practice has ended. We show that this improvement strongly depends on
sleep. To specify the
process responsible for sleep-related improvement, we compared the
effects of 'early' and 'late'
sleep, dominated respectively by slow-wave and rapid eye movement (REM)
sleep. Discrimination skills significantly improved over early sleep,
improved even more over a whole night's sleep, but did not improve after
late sleep alone. These findings suggest that procedural memory
formation is prompted by slow-wave sleep-related processes. Late REM
sleep may promote memory formation at a second stage, only after periods
of early sleep have occurred.

and also, WRT Stickgold...
http://www.med.harvard.edu/publications/Focus/1999/Mar19_1999/psych.html

There's also some recent stuff by Bruce McNaughton-- perhaps someone
else has the refs.
near at hand.

-maxwell