human genome question

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Wed Jun 13 15:44:15 EST 2001

"maxwell" <mmmaxwell at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9g85o8$7dkdc$1 at ID-81739.news.dfncis.de...

> Sascha Vynograd <vyn at domestic.de> wrote in message
> news:9g7uae$e6g$1 at riker.addcom.de...
> > What does it mean , that human genome is completly decoded?
>
> That the material it is made of has been mapped out, from one end to
> the other.
>
> > Is my genome equivalent with others ?
>
> Not exactly, because there are huge numbers of places where differences
> between individuals can be found.
>
> > What makes people different?
> > differences gene expression or differences in genome?
>
> Both of the above, plus parts of the differences in gene expression
> are due to experiences of the organism, both of the living person,
> and also of factors within the cell that carry messages to and from the
> genome,
> and of factors within the cytoplasm of the zygote.
>
> (non-exhaustive..offered as examples; over-simplified, and with
> implicit regard of interactive causalities)

Just a few more details -- the human genome is not really completely
decoded.  But probably all the parts that really count have been.
There are technical reasons why two particular regions of each
chromosome can't be decoded but these regions almost certainly
don't code for any genes.  And what we have now is still called a
"draft".

In general, two people differ in about 0.1% of their DNA.  That is one
out of 1000 base pairs may differ. So perhaps 3 million out of the 3
billion bases differ between individuals.  The work is just barely getting
started on cataloging these differences.  Trying to understand just what
the differences actually mean is still far away (except in a few exceptional
cases).