Leucotomy

David Barrie rubens110 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 04:33:02 EST 2001

I am researching the use of leucotomy in the 1950s. Have read several
background books on the subject but am now looking to track down
surgeons who either carried out, attended or followed the procedure in
the UK and USA until the backlash against psychosurgery in the 1970s.

Mention has been made in the U.K. of neurosurgeons by the name of
Cushing and McKissock. Am trying to find out more detail.

The best known practitioners in the U.S.A. were Walter Freeman and
D.F.Watts -long since dead. Can anyone suggest other important names?
Names who might be alive? Where to begin?

Leucotomy interests me not just for the controversy that surrounded
the procedure but for the light it casts on mid-War psychiatry,
neurobiology and issues that surround medical innovation today.