ESP and actual neurobiology

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Sun Jun 17 17:04:06 EST 2001

There was recently a query about ESP on bionet.neuroscience and
then a lot of flames about trolling and stuff. Then somebody
(I am having trouble tracing the names) wrote:

> Regarding the issue of technology and ESP, I thought you might find
> the following abstract of interest
>
>EEG AND SPECT DATA OF A SELECTED SUBJECT  DURING PSI TASKS:
>THE DISCOVERY OF A NEUROPHYSIOLOGICAL CORRELATE
>
>CHERYL H. ALEXANDER, MICHAEL A. PERSINGER,
>WILLIAM G. ROLL, AND DAVID L. WEBSTER

I have searched the National Library of Medicine (Pub Med).
I find there is an "MA Persinger" who is a fairly prolific researcher from
Laurentian University in Ontario, Canada.  His web page is
   http://www.laurentian.ca/neurosci/persinger.html
and his publication list does NOT include anything at all like
what is cited.

There is a WG Roll who did publish a paper entitled "ESP
and memory" in Int. J. Neuropsychiatry in 1966 but I don't
see anything by him/her since 1977.

I can't find anything pertinent by CH Alexander or DL Webster.

Please do NOT submit citations to bionet.neuroscience unless
they are in refereed journals.  If you do want to talk about
"work in progress", please cite the names and institutional
affiliations of the individuals involved so that they can be
verified.

My own conclusion is that the paper cited is bogus, but I will
be very happy to retract that statement if someone can show
me evidence to the contrary.

I don't care what is discussed in alt.paranormal, but the subject
matter of bionet.neuroscience is, in fact, science which proceeds
by certain standards and criteria.