Brain-Mind: Know Thyself!

maxwell mmmaxwell at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 22:56:14 EST 2001

RoyBoy <aphycho at usa.net> wrote in message
news:7_xZ6.115299$r7.15424174 at news1.busy1.on.home.com...
> Damn boyee.  Your a smooth operator.

Thank you, Roy. Good research demands good questions,
and minimal presumptions.

Understanding the products of research requires good logic.
That having been said, looking at brain slices gets boring
fast enough; though I'm glad to pitch in, the young ABD up at
the lab is a better hand with the sketches-- but even
that's going software, now. (NeuroLucida)

More to the topic, though-- Richard Norman was totally correct.
We've a loooong way to go before we've more than
hints as to how substrates are actually wired,
at least WRT higher levels-of-organization, necessary
for even raw perception as a pheomenological event,
let alone so as to reveal 'mind.'

Thus, the many 'grand syntheses' that are atimes offered,
would be best considered as philosophical excursions,
and 'twould be best, IMO, if _more_ attention was given to
the philosophy of how and why we do science, then to
the philosophy of 'essence'-- at least if demonstrable
knowledge is the goal.
This opinionated appeal toward pragmatism I offer,
is unabashedly *heuristic,* and not determinist.

-maxwell