modelling intelligence

Matt Jones jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 29 11:26:04 EST 2001

Excerpted from The Jones Unabridged Dictionary of Neuroscience, 1st edition:

Chronaxie: noun, the relationship between the duration of a current
injection into an excitable cell and the probability of producing an
action potential.

Rheobase: noun, the relationship between the magnitude of current injected
into an excitable cell and the probability of producing an action
potential.

IQ: (acronym for Intelligence Quotient), noun, a statistic developed for
measuring intelligence, originally derived by the U.S. military for
evaluation of soldiers in World War I. The test subjects used in
developing the nmeasure were patients in psychiatric institutions and
inmates in prisons. No sensible person would give any creedence to IQ as a
tool for making policy, estimating cognitive or problem solving power, or
any other purpose except when considering patients in psichiatric
institutions or prison inmates during World War I. Editor's Note: A much
more reliable measure of intelligence can be obtained by engaging the test
subject in a conversation, and weighing the clarity and scope of their

Poster's Note:
The Jones Unabridged Dictionary of Neuroscience is available free of
charge, and is worth exactly what you pay for it.