"New" colours possible?

Tris null at 127.0.0.1
Thu Nov 1 04:44:18 EST 2001

news:cddcc385.0110311016.46a0e76c at posting.google.com...
news:<3bdf63b3.34218494 at agate.berkeley.edu>...
> > On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:08:44 +0100, "Urs Enke" <urs.enke at web.de>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >For some years now I've wondered
> > >-- whether the (red-green-blue-mixable) colours we know are all there
are in
> > >this universe, and if not,
> > >-- whether it might be possible to neurologically change the visual
cortex
> > >(or whatever necessary) to create the sensation of other colours, and
> > >-- whether there has been any research suggesting that other animals
are
> > >actually seeing different colours than we do.
> > >

> > Just to add a brief comment to all the good stuff already posted...
> > Apparently two different "red" receptors are known in humans, with
> > slightly different wavelength responses. So, genetically determined,
> > different people see color differently. (I can probably find a
> > reference for that, if someone wants to look it up.)
> >
> > bob
>
> There's a gender factor also.  I've heard it said men are much more prone
> color-blindness than women.  Is this a fable or is there meat on the bone?

It's true, but apparently colour-blindness is good for predatory animals.
Could this be why men are more likely to be colour-blind than women?

Colourful camouflage is less confusing to the colour-blind - so now
camouflage patterns must be tested by people with 'normal' vision, *and*
people who are colour-blind.