Folding hands - why prefer a certain way?

John M Price PhD jmprice at calweb.com
Sat Nov 3 14:50:38 EST 2001

In sci.psychology.theory article <mgWE7.96456$%B6.25785386 at typhoon.southeast.rr.com> Glen M. Sizemore <gmsizemore at triad.rr.com> wrote:
: Why do you think it is genetic?

>From his description, it seems to follow a Mendelian inheritance pattern.

 It may very well be. I'm not being
: contentious, I just wonder why you say that.

Why don't you accept the evidence he's presented?  If it was not genetic,
no pattern would have emerged.

: G.

: "Richard Norman" <rsnorman at mediaone.net> wrote in message
: news:c3n17ssip64vo19b9rkp97kmii0dupk0fj at 4ax.com...
:> On Sat, 3 Nov 2001 16:16:50 +0100, "Urs Enke" <urs.enke at web.de> wrote:
:>
:> >When they don't know where to put their hands, people may fold their
: hands.
:> >Many do it when praying. Maybe someone can tell me why the latter is done
: at
:> >all.
:> >
:> >But my primary question is another one: People usually prefer a certain
: way
:> >of folding their hands, out of the two possible positions. When
: intertwining
:> >one's fingers, the decision has to be made whether to put the right or
: the
:> >left thumb on top. (With the position of the other fingers directly
:> >resulting from this choice, assuming one wants the fingers of the two
: hands
:> >to "take turns".) Apparently (as I gathered from asking others), each
: person
:> >has a definite (usually subconscious, automatic) preference for one of
: the
:> >possibilities, and experiences a certain awkwardness when forcing "the
: other
:> >order of fingers".
:> >
:> >Does anyone have a reasoned guess whether this preference is genetically
:> >determined (possibly caused by anatomic differences between the two
: hands)
:> >or maybe depends on the way one folded one's hands early in life and thus
:> >got used to it?
:> >
:> >As far as my "private statistics" tell, there is no correlation to
:> >handedness or gender. Rather clearly, though, the majority prefers the
: right
:> >thumb on top. I do so myself. :-)
:> >
:> >Urs
:> >
:>
:> I don't know the source, but we have long used "which thumb on top"
:> as an example of a simple Mendelian characters in introductory
:> biology.  I don't remember which way was dominant (I don't have my lab
:> manual at home with me).  I have no idea where to find a citation.
:> But it is used as frequently as other traits like "attached earlobe"
:> (ear attachment) , "widow's peak" (forehead hairline pattern) and
:> "hitchhiker's thumb" (degree of backward bending of thumb).
:>

--
John M. Price, PhD                                     jmprice at calweb.com
Life: Chemistry, but with feeling!      |      PGP Key on request or FTP!

The crowning glory of Christianity is, that it is the only major religion
requiring absolutely no prerequisites such as intelligence, linguistic
polish, or philosophical depth.
	- Pastor Frank on alt.atheism