How the brain store information?

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Mon Nov 5 18:39:23 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:17:11 +0100, "Brian" <zhil at online.no> wrote:

>"Aristotle" <aristotle at spammenot.ihug.com.au> skrev i melding
>news:3BE67595.5030901 at spammenot.ihug.com.au...
>> Liar42,
>>
>> Interesting but absolutely nothing about the 'biochemical' basis of
>> memory in there.
>>
>> New Scientist some time ago ran an article suggesting a similarity
>> between the memory of the immune system and the brain - ie - proteins
>> and changing genes in neurons on the fly.  I won't pretend to understand
>> this as I don't.  It was an interesting proposition though.
>>
>> Apparantly the brain is the only part of the body (or is it) immune from
>> the immune system - the theory is that the immune system would destroy
>> the proteins that make up memory.
>>
>> Can anyone make any sense of this?
>
>Yes, memory, both Long Term and Short Term, are structural constructs, not chemical
>constructs via proteins.

I don't understand.  You seem to be making a distinction between
"structural" and "chemical" in which proteins are chemical and not
structural.  That is, if you produce a protein, you are doing a
chemical thing, not a structural thing.

Just how do you change or create biological structure without doing
chemical things -- like synthesizing proteins and putting them into
the cell membrane in just a certain way.  The lipid matrix of
membranes is fluid and quite variable, so synaptic structure really
depends primarily on the proteins.  OK, you also need carbohydrates to
make up the glycocalyx and nucleic acids do play some role.  But it is
nevertheless all chemistry in the end.