How the brain store information?

John H. John at
Mon Nov 12 07:26:03 EST 2001

"Liar42" <liar42 at> wrote in message
news:20011107011125.26716.00001894 at
> >Liar42,
> Interesting but absolutely nothing about the 'biochemical' basis of
> memory in there.<
> I do not regard myself as the biochemistry and therefore do not find it
> relevant, though I do not say it is irrelevant.
> However if I wish to have memory data then I am the central upcaller
> even if the stuff comes from elsewhere.
> And all rattling off about the biochemistry is still hardware stuff.
> But feel free to rattle off about the hardware, can be interesting, too.
> Just if all systems are generalized instead of the long term memory
systems, it
> means that someone there has obviously not understood enough even yet to
> not where there are some of the long term systems, and is still at
> all brain cells together maybe undiscerned, or / and lots of systems
> undiscerned, irregardless if they are long term memory systems or not.
> Maybe some others are real impressed with such, but I am not.
> But it is also not much my interest.
> (My interests are more LSD magically in the back of the heads for magic
> perception tuning games.)
> >New Scientist some time ago ran an article suggesting a similarity
> between the memory of the immune system and the brain - ie - proteins
> and changing genes in neurons on the fly.<
> I doubt they are that much similar.
> Alone my own direct memories, even if they might be regarded short term, I
> regard to be magic systems, while immune stuff I regard to be hardware.
> (...)
> >Apparantly the brain is the only part of the body (or is it) immune from
> the immune system - the theory is that the immune system would destroy the
> proteins that make up memory.
> Can anyone make any sense of this?<
> Sounds wrong to me, as MS is supposed to be an auto immune deficiency
> something is destroyed where at the moment I can't think of the name, ...
> here it comes, myelin ... myelin sheaths ...,
> anyway, ain't look that good after a while and if the brain was immune to
> immune systems how could auto immune deficiency happen in the brain.
> BTW, I just thought about if the myelin stuff is newer than what gets
> there, wondering if it might be that there are origine time differences.

Yes, it does appear that myelin is being created all the time, though
evidence is hard to come by. One idea re MS is that during regeneration of
myelin sheaths (or their ongoing maturation during childhood and into early
adulthood if the latest Mris are to be trusted) a virus infects the CNS and
sets up an inflammatory cycle. Interestingly, regenerating myelin sheaths
may present antigenic targets. Moreover, given that some myelin associated
cells express high levels of hsp60(oligodendrocytes)  and hsp 60 has been
shown to prime the innate immune system, and that hsp60 is a frequently
reported autoantigen, there is the possibility that of cross reactivity,
except for the fact that I have other problems with the 'molecular mimicry'
argument. Eg.. some non sick people have autoantigens and I have 3
references indicating that auto reactive T cells actually protect the brain
from secondary injury and this protection is remote from the original injury
site. As you may note, I'm thoroughly confused by all that, pleading with a
th1\th2 set of ideas to lead me through the maze but I don't think its going
to work .... .

> Hm ... Anyone knowing about that? I meant like development differences in
> human and in our ancestors, which is first.

Very interesting stuff, ask me in about 6 months, I intend to read up on it.
Yes, the immune and nervous systems to have common developmental origins and
do use many similiar signal transduction mechanisms. Life tends to be like
that though ... .
> Apart from that I am part of the immune systems, though not a very
> one, I more got occasionally asked to make a decision in the 38° C range
up or
> down (where I tended to prefer up and rather made the steering along for
> 3-4 h till it runs alone O.K. and I am not needed there anymore, and be
rid of
> the illness then the next day maybe or if long in two days, instead of
> for the stuff that is needed for lowering, and have maybe some cold or
> then plague me 2-3 weeks in the background with bad luck there).
> So I might not regard me as a primary immune systems cluster, but as such
I am
> also part of the immune systems at times.

Yes, the immune system can impact on our cognition and mood.