home EEG?

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Sun Nov 18 15:47:51 EST 2001

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:05:21 GMT, "CallMeZoot" <noemail at noemail.net>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am interested in doing some informal studies on my brainwave activity
>during various activities.  Is there any sort of "home-EEG-kit" in
>existence?  That is, a relatively inexpensive method for tracking brainwave
>activity on my home PC?
>
>Or am I completely and totally off the mark in even wishing for such a
>thing?
>
>thanks,
>chris.

A search of www.google.com showed the cheapest cmmercial units I
could easily find were over $500.  (I didn't do an exhaustive search,
but I did spend 10 minutes or more looking).  I have in the past seen
articles in "popular electronics" type magazines with circuits.  But
you do have to worry about safety in connecting yourself to a PC.
How secure are you in the grounding and power isolation of your PC
power?

The main problem, even if you were willing to dish out a substantial
sum of money, is what you would do with the results  It is not easy
to get good, clean EEG data.  It is far more difficult to interpret
just what is happening.  You can easily learn to differentiate "low
voltage fast" from alpha waves and even possibly learn to produce
more alpha with biofeedback.  But what does it really mean?  What
are you looking for?