"New" colours possible?

Brian zhil at online.no
Tue Nov 20 14:31:07 EST 2001

"C.J.L. Wolf" <C.J.L.Wolf at ncl.ac.uk> skrev i melding
news:Pine.SOL.4.21.0111201638270.27227-100000 at aidan.ncl.ac.uk...
> > Possibly, but the loss would be substantial.
>
> What form might this substantial loss take, and how do you know it would
> be substantial? What does this mean for people with 2 cone types (normal
> red-green colourblindness...).

It would be a fuzzyness,  compared with normal vision.
Think of it this way if the neocortex is not expanded:
The neurons would have to be rearranged among the cones (3/4 of the old nummerical
value).

> Think back to the neural circuitry required. Somehow the developing
> brain's got to sense that there's a whole new type of cone present, and
> make different connections to it than it would to other cones. It's pretty
> straightforward to think up scenarios whereby a new cone type with a
> different pigment arises from spontaneous mutations, but this is only a
> small fraction of the story.

A genetic mutation might occur, but it would be by Darwininan selection.
What possible good could such a mutation give, any advantages.
I had the same 'visionary' view before I stared to study neuroscience.
Now I'm of the opinion that a system were electronics will be engineered and integrated
into each other, and were you can switch systems (from normal to infrared) by a mental
command.
This is already under study by several instiutes.
BTW, I'm not into the 'circle', so I can not confirm how far the research has gone; for
now they'll try to replicate normal vision.
My view is that the best advantage would be to use genetic engineered vectors were the
neurons will 'adapt' toward electronic 'interfaces'.

Brian