My postulate of complex thoughts (recommend to read "The Celebral Code" by W.Calvin)

Brian zhil at online.no
Fri Nov 23 15:55:24 EST 2001

The basis for formation of ideas (in my opinion), is what Dr.Calvin described as
hexagonal storage-formations (you'll find it in "The Celebral Code" by William Calvin).
He proposed the idea of using the Darwinian developement in the cortex to let toughts
compete.
And they of course would be dominated by external (physical) as internal (long term and
short term potentiational, hormonal etcetera.) cues.
Dr.Calvin suggested that the hexagons were created in the cortex by entrained cells
which pair with additional cells by recruitment equidistantly.
That is what I would call a single-step approach, one step to recruit aditional cell(s),
which would result in a hexagon.
And my thought is that this represent a single idea, notion, thought.
Here is my idea, and it is to propose a furthering of Dr.Calvins idea.
The postulate is like this (roughly):
It is harder for an idea to gain ground, if the hexagonal competition has to go through
multi-step formation.
What is multi-step formation ?
Multi-step formation would suggest that to create a hexagon, it would have to deal with
several; not single; neuronal steps.
This thought will compete with other thoughts, and the one with the largest conquest
will prevail.
So what DO I postulate ?
I would suggest a Law, that says the more complex it is to create a hexagon, the harder
it will be for this idea to prevail, and as it is going through a multi-step
recruitment,  the complexity would increase, also making it harder for the idea to
survive.
But that would also mean that the opportunities would be endless, just exactly what the
brain is all about, to break down mental borders - to create new ideas.

Brian