Increased blood flow detected by fMRI scans?

Richard Norman rsnorman at
Mon Oct 29 17:10:34 EST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:53:41 +0100, "Brian" <zhil at> wrote:

>Wow !! That was quite a book (1414 pages!!) I could dig into this one.....
>Hope I'm not sounding to cheeky, because I'm not that kind of a person.
>Anyway, to me parts of neuroscience doesn't seem that hard, while other is
>quite slippery (distribution of function in the Cortex is one).
>Is it harder than I'm imagining, or is it that it just takes a lot of time
>to get used to things ?

If Kandel, Schwartz, and Jessel isn't enough, there are two other
encyclopedic neuroscience texts:

Neuroscience (2nd Ed)
Dale Purves, and others
Sinauer Associates, 2000

Fundamental Neuroscience
M.J.Zigmond, F.E.Bloom, S.Landis, J.L.Roberts, and L.R.Squire, eds.
Academic Press, 1998

These (any one of them) are really quite definite treatments of
whatever you may be interested in in the area.  If you are interested,
I also have a list of much more accessible books.  These are suitable
for medical and graduate school texts.

I am not familiar with Sherman and Guillery's work on the thalamus.
But I would guess that a more general work would be of greater value.
Something complete would allow you to dip into whatever subject you
might want to explore -- molecular biology of the neuron, synaptic
mechanisms, vision, motor control, development -- the whole works.