question from sci-fi-writer

alfons van leeuwenhorst all at burningmail.com
Mon Sep 3 07:05:17 EST 2001

Kevin Hoffman wrote:

> I am writing a sci-fi story that involves a hypothetical "procedure" that
> increases concentration and memory by some large factor (say 1000X).
>
> I would be very grateful for any information on:
>
> - what region of the brain controls concentration and memory
>
> - if there are any current, experimental procedures of this nature
>
> - a rough description of sample neurological disorders that affect
> memory/concentration.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin

You might like this lead. When i was in Surinam (South America) I heard an
indian story / legend about concentration enhancers being active in the
sting of ants, especialy the fire-ant. Hunters make elaborate rituals in
which the sting of the fire-ants is said to do exactly the thing, it
increases your mental capabilities so you can succesfully hunt for animals
in the tropical forest. If it's not true, it makes a wonderful story. The
poison in the fire-ants sting has many substances. Who knows ...

There has been some investigation into this by somebody at the Utrecht
University in the Netherlands - Cultural Anthropological department.