question: job of a neuron

Justus Verhagen justus.verhagen at psy.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 09:13:42 EST 2001

My 5C

The question asks for the function of a specialized cell _in
isolation_.
This seems pointless to me, other than to reply with WHAT it does/can
do (transfer function, etc )&how so.

But to give something of an answer to a similar question...:

The CNS acts as an integrated system, with typically distributed
representation of information.
HEnce, from a neurocomputationla point of view: one neuron in a big
brain does quite little and can be easily missed (reduncancy, graceful
degradation).

But don't tell an alcoholic aplysia that!

Do read a nice primer! It's tremendously a interesting and rewarding
field to me, and I hope for you all as well.

Justus

On Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:47:08 GMT, remove_this!helbrecht at gmx.net