question: job of a neuron

Wolfram remove_this!helbrecht at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 04:37:08 EST 2001

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the support making clear what in the original posting
was my goal.

jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu (Matt Jones) wrote:

Your following paragraph is on that level i was looking for. Now i
can hook and go more to the details.

> The task of a neuron is to move a signal from point A to point B,
> while possibly performing some sort of operation or transformation on
> the signal as it goes through.

Is that precise? Does it mean, that one specific signal coming
from A (= input signal?) going to B (= output signal?) is anyway
identifyable on its way from A to B? - Yes, you wrote, possibly
the neuron performs some sort of operation ... on it. Does that
mean, therefore, it is not identifyable on its way?

>Every neuron in every circuit during
> every behavior performs -this- task. Further, this task is -not-
> performed by every other type of living cell (but certainly a few
> other types). Therefore, -this- task appears to be a special chore
> undertaken by neurons, but not most other cell types.

Thanks for this explanation. That was i was looking for. (I am not
a professional at neuroscience.)

--

best regards,
Wolfram