white surface of the brain

Justus Verhagen justus.verhagen at psy.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 08:38:50 EST 2001

Cortex consists of grey&white "matter".
The grey area contains mainly the cell bodies, and white the
myelinated axons, this all besides the non-neuronal cells, dendrites,
etc.
Myelination (by way of Scwann cells wrapping their membrane around
axons, but with unmyelinated areas intermittently called nodes of
Ranvier) increases transmission speed and reduces the energy needed
for spike transmission. Quite a bargain!

Justus

On Thu, 06 Sep 2001 12:04:30 GMT, remove_this!helbrecht at gmx.net