white surface of the brain

Wolfram Sieber remove_this!helbrecht at gmx.net
Thu Sep 6 12:41:43 EST 2001

Hi Richard,

Richard  Norman <rsnorman at mediaone.net> wrote:

> >someone told me, neurons in the white surface of the brain
> >operates like bridges, transmitting signals from A to B about
> >three times faster, than "normal" grey neurons. Is that true?
> "operates like bridges" sounds like you are still trying to find
> the "job" of neurons??

Well, i was working on a model of "meaning" (i think). I found
some analogies between the model and that i knew about neurons. So
i weren't sure, if a neuron itself could be meaning-representing.
Because of that i asked right here - and am still asking.

(...)
Thanks for all the explanation.

> and sheen.   But white vs grey neurons?  Where did you hear that.

This is a quote from comp.ai.philosophy, from 3 Sept 2001:

CyberLegend:
> > > Human brains have the common thing of having a layer of
> > > signal-carier neurons around it, that can carry the signal from one
> > > circut to another
Wolfram:
> > Well my understanding of brains i not wide enough to follow. Does
> > the above mean that there are neurons working like
> > "transcontnental" pipelines for signals? Dragging signals here and
> > dropping them over there? (Are these "pipelines" fixed in place or
> > are they just hiking around? [Well, this is a bit off topic here.
> > Should i better ask in a neuroscience group?])
CyberLegend:
> [Don't worry about it, it's a common subject around here. =]
> These signal-cariers are the whiter layer, surely you've heard of them
> before. Yes, they do what you described, in fact they're perfect for the
> job, because they transist signals about 3 times faster than normal
Here i heard about that.

--

best regards,
Wolfram