question: job of a neuron

Tyler Sherkin t_sherkin at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 17:31:52 EST 2001

*looks at previous posts in thread*

Oh boy do I feel like I'm about to open a big can of worms...

Since you all seem so happy to answer this question, I have a basic question
of my own.

First, I have absolutely no base in neuroscience whatsover, just to set the
tone.

What is it about neurons (or the structure of a neural network) that allows
all of these neurons working together to produce a greater effect than just
the single neuron?

How are they working together, and are there any other organs/structures
involved?

Thanks,

Tyler

PS - High school biology does not cover this, but I'm interested. Thanks
again, beforehand.