What I like about your approach Ron was Wavelet answer: Re: question: job of a neuron

Ron Blue rcb5 at msn.com
Sat Sep 8 01:21:21 EST 2001

> >What I like about your approach Ron is that it provides avenues to
> >overcoming the continual noise and fluctuating contexts under which
brains
> >must function. "Fuzzy processing" is the norm of brain function, not the
> >exception. What I would like to know is: can you test your model against
> >simple nervous system?

Actually, none of these ideas are mine. The ideas have a very long history
going back to Aristotle. The names read like who's who in science. If I have
done anything it is to draw attention to ideas that were repeatedly
considered and abandoned because important details and useful models were
not known. The fundamental idea is that the nervous system is an associative
network built on opponent process or adaptation or habituation from
experiences using wavelets and wavelet filters. Each important person from
the past recognized key elements in the system but could not integrate it
into a useful whole. Three key people standout as being the closest to
understanding the elements. Unfortunately, everyone was ignored.

The rank order in closeness to the Correlational Opponent Processing model
using wavelets would be a neurologist in Argentina who's name I do not know
and I can not read his materials written in Spanish, the second is ERN
Grigg, MD who wrote Biological Relativity published by Akaranth Books. (c)
1967, and Hurvich and Jameson's 1974 paper, "Opponent Processes as a Model
of Neural Organization". I only rediscovered what Pavlov, Hume, Spencer,
Zwaadermaker, Darwin, Hegel, Sherrington, Hull, OH Mower, Solomon, Hering,
Lewin, Hebb, Piaget, Pribram, Skinner, Newton, Aristotle, and there are more
important people who had explored then abandoned elements in these ideas.
Only latter on when it became impossible for me to eliminate the ideas as a
reasonable model did I discover the key people who could have won the day
with a new useful model but were unsuccessful. One because he was not an
American - he did not know English, Dr. Grigg because he did not know or
understand opponent process (knowledge of wavelets is not necessary to get
the answer), and the Hurvich's team because their ideas became exploited in
the area of opponent process of emotions and drug addiction. Hurvich is
still alive and is not bitter that his key ideas were not recognized.

Wavelets by themselves are not opponent processes. Opponent processes will
generate oscillator and wavelet like systems. Wavelets by themselves are not
necessarily associative networks, but associative networks will generate
wavelet like systems. Oscillons can only exist in a wavelet system with
adaptive interference or systemic memory. Excitatory neurons will generate a
wavelet system. But wavelet systems are not necessarily excitatory they
could be inhibitory. Inhibitory neurons will generate a wavelet systems. But
wavelet systems are not necessary inhibitory they could be excitatory.
Excitatory and inhibitory neurons will generate a wavelet system. Wavelet
systems do not necessarily consist of both excitatory and inhibitory sub
systems.

Ron Blue
http://turn.to.ai
http://home.talkcity.com/LaGrangeLn/ronaldblue/index.html
Correlational Opponent Processing
Basics of Conscious Artificial Intelligence
Little Ricci's First Days: Robotic Developmental Psychology
Pictures of JCIS 2000 and Corey (Ricci's little sister)
JCIS 2000 conference and observations of Corey's Behavior
Biobotics

PSYCHOLOGY/BRAIN CONNECTIONS:
Zwaadermaker Conjugates
Phase-coupled oscillator models can predict hippocampal inhibitory synaptic
connections
Quantum Coherence Has Been Demonstrated In The Brain
Topological quantum computation/error correction in microtubules
Comparison between Karl Pribram's "Holographic Brain Theory"
and more conventional models of neuronal computation
Sources of Meaning
Pain as an Opponent Process
Symmetry music and pain reduction
Systemic Memory
Reasoning about Minimal Belief and Negation as Failure
Classic Articles in Visual Perception
Mismatch Signals and the Construction of Internal Representations

ILLUSION CONNECTIONS:
Ouchi Illusion
American Flag Illusion
Spiral Illusion
Subjective Contours
Howard's Color Contrast
Hermann Grid Illusion
Concave Face Illusion
Colors From Red and White Illusion
Flashing black dots

MATHEMATICS/PHYSICS/QUANTUM CONNECTIONS:
Bipolar Spectral Associative Memories
Brain inspires new memories: Quantum memories should mimic ours
Decoherence Produces Coherent States: An Explicit Proof for Harmonic Chains
Non-Local Communication with Classical Confirmation
A Quantum to Classical Phase Transition in Noisy Quantum Computers
Stabilization of Quantum Computations by Symmetrization
Time-Adaptive Algorithms for Synchronization
Strongly Coupled Quantum and Classical Systems and Zeno's Effect
Jack Sarfatti, Beyond Bohm/Vigier Quantum Mechanics
A Gentle Introduction to Wavelets
Interference
Wavelet Decomposition/Reconstruction of Images Via Direct Products
Eigenvalue Equations
Three dimensional Simulation by Empirical Orthogonal Functions
Oscillons
Oscillon movie at Umbanhowar's Web site
Self Organizing Map
Cellular automa
Learning in Non-superpositional Quantum Neurocomputers
Pauli Cloning Machines and N -dimensional Extensions
Quantum Bouncing Ball
Quantum Information
Bulk Spin Resonance Quantum Computation
Penning traps and non-neutral plasmas
Consciousness and Oscillators
The Apparatus: An rf (Paul) Trap
The Tao of Interaction-Free Measurements
Visual Quantum Mechanics
Quantum Consciousness
Quantum Computing
Introduction to Special Section on Quantum Computation
Quantum Complexity Theory
Exact solution of a partially asymmetric exclusion model
using a deformed oscillator algebra
Instantons and Chiral Anomaly in Fuzzy Physics
Lazy Evaluation of Symmetric Bayesian Decision Problems

HISTORICAL CONNECTIONS:
History of the Waterfall Illusion (Aristotle 384-322 BC)
Newton Law (1642-1727)
David Hume (1711-1776)
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (1770-1831)
Spencer's Connexions (1855)
A Brief History of Connectionism
Theory of Evolution (1859)
Opponent Process Theory of Color Vision (1890)
Color Perception (in 3000 Words
Sir Charles Scott Sherrington: The Integrative Action of the Nervous System
(1906)
Lashley's Search for the Engram (1920)
Hull's Learning Rule (1943
Cognitive Dissonance Theory (L. Festinger - 1957)
Biological Relativity by ERN Grigg, MD, Akaranth Books. (c) 1967
The Holographic Mind (1971)
Essentials of Learning in Conscious AI and Biological Systems (1997)

GENERAL:
Connections: Personal
Connections: Medias and Enticy

---