question: job of a neuron

John H John at faraway.com.au
Sun Sep 9 09:30:05 EST 2001

Matt,

I did not mean to imply that we must factor in all these variables before we
can study neural transmission. That clearly is not possible by humans, now
or in the future. My suspicion is we will require some form of AI for that
task. I don't expect anything in my lifetime! My point was to try and
demonstrate that any model of neuronal function must be able to account for
all these differing signal types and metabolic contexts.

Inhibition.

Thanks for the evolution lesson. Reading today a basic neuro primer (layman,
reads journal articles while reading primers) the author stated that in
humans interneurons occur in very high numbers relative to other animals. I
believe Matt that you have done research into GABA(still are?) and wonder if
you can provide any insight into the idea of this high density of
interneurons. If true, why, what is so special about human brains that we
would require so many interneurons?

No, I cannot make any sense of inhibition being first. What a mystery ... .

John.

news:b86268d4.0109071100.274b3ebb at posting.google.com...