Brain Mass Concepts

Filip van den Bergh F.S.vandenBergh at students.fss.uu.nl
Thu Sep 13 09:39:05 EST 2001

I of course begin with a statement of humility: Other are probably better
able to answer this question, but I will give you my answer because few
others have.

The theory you are discussing has to do with between-species variability. It
is not assumed (at least not anymore) that brain mass of an individual is a
predictor for the relative intelligence of that individual compared to other
individuals of the same species. I don't think you thought this was the
case, but one of the replies suggested that the question was interpreted as
such.
Now my h opinion on the evolutionairy component of your question. I don't
know where you got theory regarding your question, but I'm certain that in
that same book, there is a picture of a sensory or motor homunculous. The
sensory homunculous shows the relative sensitivity of the various bodyparts.
Large bodyparts have larger sensory areas, because many sensory neurons are
needed to tell the brain what's going on with that bodypart. Of course, some
area's of the skin are much more sensitive, such as the indexfinger. So that
part of the body takes op more space on the sensory map. Now imagine a
whale. It would need huge sensory areas to know what's going on on the huge
whale body. As for motor areas of the brain, that was answered by someone
else up the thread.

Filip
(although a student of neuroscience, not at all in this field)

news:9noo7q$dm8$1 at news.acns.nwu.edu...