How They Eye Works

BriF brif8 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 3 09:31:22 EST 2002

Greetings

Could someone please advise me on the following statement, and correct where
necessary I'm repeating facts that I was told and would like to verify them
as accurately as possible, if for some reason this is in the wrong NG I
apologize.

The visual system could be likening unto a camcorder.

The eye is simply the lens, which allows in as much light as necessary, this
is focus to a single point for it to be processed. The visual cortex of the
brain is like the viewfinder, it's function is to process the information
from object recognition. That Yes, it has green on the top in an oval shape,
is supported by a brown rectangle, yes I'm looking at a tree. The visual
cortex processes the image and what it is, without paying much attention to
the specific details, colors etc. this is performed at a rate of 28 frames
per second. Much like the viewfinder is Black & White and is worried about
what is in picture and what is out of picture.

The visual subconscious is like the cassette tape. It records everything in
very clear details specific colors shapes etc.. It does not do the image
processing, it simply records what is seen and is not worried about what it
is. Due to the less processing done it is capable of performing at a rate of
30 frames per second. Much like the cassette it just records what is fed
into the lenses, for latter use.

Is this accurate, or where are the flaws. (perhaps terminology) I'm not
sure. What was of real interest to me was that two parts of the brain handle
visual images from the eye, and that each brain functions at different
rates. If this is the case I would love someone to please explain this to
me, in basic understanding, I'm not into neurobiology, but this is non the
less quite fascinating.

Any direction to online material that covers this issue would be more
appreciated.

I thank you all for your patience and to those willing to help, I thank you
in advance

Barry