gmb gmb at nomail.com
Tue Apr 9 12:53:17 EST 2002

"Charles R Martin" <crmartin at indra.com> wrote in message
news:m3adscdbup.fsf at localhost.localdomain...

> > I've recently been struck by the fact that great parts of Usenet (and
> > the web) are uncannily similar to the conspiracy ravings of paranoid
> > schizophrenics.  It occurs to me that there's no prohibition against
> > schizophrenics buying computers, and many of the wacky parts of the web
> > probably *are* the work of paranoid schizophrenics.  (Unfortunately, the
> > web seems to serve as an amplifier.)
>
> I'll go a step further with this: I've wondered (eg with conspiracy
> theorists) if there isn't some kind of "subclinical schizopheria"
> involved.  Schizophrenia appears to be pretty completely an organic
> problem now; the last I read anything about it, the theory that it was
> caused by some malfunction of NDMA glutamate receptors was popular, or
> more loosely by some kind of limbic defect.  As such, it's entirely
> likely that there's some kind of "spectrum" there; it'd be easy for
> there to be subclinical manifestations of the same _kind_ of defect.

UFO and conspiracies are a classic american phenomena, a
something so typical of the american society. Teen girls especially, love
playing
psychic games. Conspiracies get to the audience's attention.
Corruption. Suspicion. Seeing other people in violent
circumstances. ER for the same reason is a very highly rated
program. Action. Adventure. Horror. Blood. People screaming.
It is something that gets everyone's attention. But one thing
is to watch TV and another is to try out something wild in
real life. Some people join the military. Others join gangs.
Others the neo-nazis. And others the foreign legion in France,
or the police force or firefighters or bungy jump off of bridges.
Adrenalin surge. People love it. Kids hear about psychic stuff
and as they dig into the subject they find an entire world full
of challenges and surprises. Out of body experiences, ghosts,
people reporting extraterrestrial accounts on tape, video footage.
But than you ask around in public and find that chances are that
even many close friends have had encounters and strange
experiences that they cannot explain. The Catholic church
performs depossessions. Even kids programs today are filled
with stuff that bends space-time, interdimensional traps, etc.
It is all based on the fact that there is a mysterious universe
that nobody understands, that there are religions that preach
about afterlife and that people and governments in general
cannot be trusted. Nothing can be trusted as secrets and
lies are everywhere. Now why did the US escalate to such
challenging magnitudes is probably attributed to the media
and people. These things sell. They bring money. They also
create a generation of people who are totally off in lala land.
Art Bell show comes to mind.

George