Chris Hedley cbh at ieya.co.REMOVE_THIS.uk
Tue Apr 9 13:27:49 EST 2002

According to Charles R Martin  <crmartin at indra.com>:
> I'll go a step further with this: I've wondered (eg with conspiracy
> theorists) if there isn't some kind of "subclinical schizopheria"
> involved.

There is a personality disorder which shares a lot of the symptoms,
albeit much less severe, which is probably a learned behaviour rather
than being a fundamental neurochemistry disorder.  But I see that
this is crossposted to a neuroscience newsgroup whose readership
probably knows infinitely more than me about the subject.  :)

> Schizophrenia appears to be pretty completely an organic
> problem now; the last I read anything about it, the theory that it was
> caused by some malfunction of NDMA glutamate receptors was popular, or
> more loosely by some kind of limbic defect.  As such, it's entirely
> likely that there's some kind of "spectrum" there; it'd be easy for
> there to be subclinical manifestations of the same _kind_ of defect.

They still seem preoccupied with the D2 receptor theory, even the
latest generation of antipsychotics such as aripiprazole still use
that to relieve the symptoms, D2 partial antagonism in this case.

Chris.