Charles Richmond richmond at ev1.net
Wed Apr 10 15:27:55 EST 2002

Chris Hedley wrote:

>      [snip...]   [snip...]     [snip...]
>
> Contrary to popular belief, schizophrenics aren't particularly
> dangerous; any violence that they're "involved" in tends to be
> directed at them because of their condition, rather than caused
> by them, at least in most cases.  AIUI, schizophrenics are less
> likely to indulge in violence than "average" members of the
> population.  "Behaving in an unusual or disconcerting manner"
> doesn't really count as violence IMHO.

There is a lady here in the U.S. who *drowned* her five
children. She is supposedly a schizophrenic, although there
seems to have been some post-partum issues also.

Additionally, I have a friend who's brother is in an institution
because of his schizophrenia. If he is *not* a danger to himself
or someone else...why is he institutionalize???