Chris Hedley cbh at ieya.co.REMOVE_THIS.uk
Wed Apr 10 16:32:03 EST 2002

According to Charles Richmond  <richmond at ev1.net>:
> There is a lady here in the U.S. who *drowned* her five
> children. She is supposedly a schizophrenic, although there
> seems to have been some post-partum issues also.

Some people with schizophrenia are dangerous, just as some people
without it are dangerous.  Whether it's relevant or not is another
matter entirely, but I think it's a bad idea to try to draw any
sort of conclusion suggesting that one implies the other.

> Additionally, I have a friend who's brother is in an institution
> because of his schizophrenia. If he is *not* a danger to himself
> or someone else...why is he institutionalize???

Doctors make pretty arbitrary decisions about who's to be admitted/
committed/sectioned which don't seem to have much bearing on the
patient's risk factor.  Even where there is a definite risk involved,
it's almost always to the patient rather than anyone else.

Chris.