Question ?

Ruthie rah3 at ukc.ac.uk
Thu Apr 11 18:11:51 EST 2002

"Taechon" <karla at kornet.net>

> It will cause you to look for sickness and pathology in all those you
meet.
> You will become a "pathology hunter."  Even when there is no pathology at
> all, you will not only be able to invent one but you will be able to
> convince another person that they are suffering from it. You will begin
> taking yourself and life way to seriously and your sense of humor, if you
> ever had one to begin with, will fade into oblivion.  You will become a
> helper and as such you will see yourself as somehow bigger and better than
> all those poor sick assholes you are helping.  Your sense of self worth
will
> be tied into how others see you.  If they say "wow, your a great
therapist,
> thanks for helping me." You will feel great about yourself.  If they say,
> "you are out of your fucking mind, that's not what's wrong with me."  You
> will learn to tell them that they are only being "resistant."  It will be
> obvious to you that if only they did what you told them to do, they would
be
> cured.

Or you might develop a lot of clinical and research skills that will enable
you to better help people and carry out research which will inform clinical
practice.

Though what Taechon says is quite true - some psychologists do look for
pathology, it all depends on the particular theoretical model you lean
towards - psychanalysis does tend to be focused on pathology.

However, more and more, psychology is becoming positive, and trying to look
at health and solutions and not just labelling people with problems.

Keep your head screwed on and your feet on the ground, and make sure you
hang around with non-psychology friends, when dealing with clients focus on
the positives and what they can do - even things that they can do that you
can't....and you'll be a good psychologist.

You don't aseem to like psychologists Taechon - is there a reason for that?
(Yup, I'm pathology hunting again - just can't help myself!)